Sunday, August 7, 2011

How I Paint

Dear Imaginary Portrait Subjects,

Here is how I paint: I take photos of my subject which are flattering and characteristic. Then I choose the best one, with nice lighting that reveals cheekbones, but does not cast shadows around the eyes nor mouth.

Then I buy or stretch a canvas with the same proportions as my intended composition. Let's say the composition is 8 x 10". In that case, I would want to have my canvas in a proportionate size, such as 16 x 20" or 24 x 30".

I change the colors as needed, heighten the contrast as needed, and usually eliminate all the unnecessary elements in the background of the original photo. 

If possible, I place the focal point of the composition over one of the golden sections. The golden section is a "sweet spot", an imaginary compositional grid, in which the canvas is divided into nine equal squares. The points of intersection indicate the optimal area for focal points.

Eh, voila! Many months later, I get the desired effect. This portrait bears strong likeness to Deni, and my work is done.

Your Imaginary Portrait Artist Friend,
Patsie

No comments:

Post a Comment