Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Diner, with Songs by Sheryl Crow

Dear Imaginary Friends,
We recently attended the play "Diner," at Signature Theater. The story was not the most compelling thing about it. The voices were -- so soaring and sweet in the many ballads, that I cannot imagine ever hearing . better anywhere.
The acting and dancing were also Broadway calibre. 
The story is based on Barry Levinson's youth in Baltimore, which was previously released as a feature film, also entitled Diner. 
The songs were written by Sheryl Crow, both music and lyrics. I fell in love with several, including "Please Be There," "Don't", and especially "Tear Down this House," and "Letting Go. " Wow. I also liked "It's Good."
The music really was original and added to the plot line.  Brava, Sheryl Crow! This play belongs on Broadway. 
The fifties were very mysogynistic, and the plot plays that up. It made me squirm. 
The set was terrific. To add to the magic, the lobby was made over into an ersatz Silver Diner. I loved it! 
The downside? Most of the male characters were very hard to like. If I were the writer, I would give them all a rosier future, especially Fenwick. And perhaps a better understanding of women's equality. And lastly, the writer should lose the stripper scene. Not appealing. 

Your imaginary theater lover,
Patsie
The set, below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment