Monday, July 2, 2012

Roaches Guarding the Gate

Dear Imaginary Friends,

When I was just a young thing, it never occurred to me to sneak out of my parents' house at night.

Hey, it was dark out there! But more than that, there was an army of mosquitoes ready to bite, not to mention a hoard of roaches underfoot, as well as the flying ones.

Did I mention that flying roaches can be over three inches long? Moreover, roaches like to come out at night. I guess they are shy. Or maybe vampires.

Sometimes when I was on a date, leaving a nightspot late at night, it would seem as if I were walking on potato chips, as the crunch of roaches scurrying about performing their nightly duties, interrupted the purchase of my steps on the dark damp paved sidewalks of my dear beloved New Orleans.

So what are roaches' nightly duties, I hear you asking? Well, to scare all the teenagers into staying in their bedrooms, with covers up to their chins. Very effective, I might add!

Roaches are not particular to New Orleans, at all. There are named gangs of roaches living in New York City, for example. I was lucky enough to sublet an apartment on Fifth Avenue (I Know!) and lo and behold, when I had the misfortune to turn on the lights suddenly at 1 am, the roaches could be seen swarming the sink, the stove, etc. There were impossible to exterminate, because they moved in the walls between apartments, to lull you into a false sense of security. Humph. I showed them: I moved back to New Orleans!
Where roaches are upfront and friendly.

Busted by roaches,
Patsie

No comments:

Post a Comment