Friday, October 26, 2012

Sushi at the CVS

Dear Imaginary Friends,

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about sushi. It is raw fish. No spices or herbs. Just the laziest way of serving up protein.

Nonetheless, skeptical though I was, I agreed to lunch at Sushi Taro off Dupont Circle in Washington, DC.

Inside Sushi Taro

My Bento Box
And here is why I liked it so much: My entree included fried chicken! Yup, you read it right here. See center of Bento box. First course: miso soup. It was meh: salty water flavored with cabbage.
Second course: shrimp and veggie tempura (mmmm!), then fried chicken in the middle (mmmm!), and then the infamous sushi, including salmon and some other fish, which were all very fresh. And rice and shredded cabbage on the side.

I love the decor. It is very serene, with high ceilings, despite having an entry at the back of a CVS drugstore. Yes, I said CVS. Inauspicious, to say the least. But when one enters, it is into the world of Japanese businessmen bowing and handing each other their cards, and gracious wooden accents and a beautiful lighting fixture. Large windows look out onto the city below.

Make reservations, as sushi plus fried chicken is beyond a winner. And then trek next door to Mr. Yogato for delish fro-yo.

Your imaginary foodie friend,
Patsie

No comments:

Post a Comment