Monday, January 2, 2012

Alone and Afraid

I can relate to anyone moving across the country to pursue a dream. I was 22, fresh out of college, when I moved alone from New Orleans to New York. Not only had I never been there before, but I did not own warm clothes. I only weighed 100 pounds, and Pratt Institute was in a bad neighborhood.

But I hate to change my mind once I have announced that I am doing something. Maybe it is sheer stubbornness, but I hate to look afraid or even wishy washy. The day of my flight, I felt so ill from a bad case of nerves, I could hardly walk. I was moving up with three suitcases, laden with clothes for warm weather from New Orleans and a bunch of art supplies. 


I have never felt so alone in my life. I did not know a soul in New York City.

Looking back, it was the best choice I ever made for my career.


Your Imaginary Friend,
Patsie

No comments:

Post a Comment