Monday, April 30, 2012

When I Was Twenty-Four

April, 2012
Dear Imaginary Friends,

Once upon a time, after graduating from graduate school, I lived in this lovely building on lower Fifth Avenue. It was a small sublet, just one block away from Greenwich Village's Washington Square Park. My husband and I recently trekked up to Manhattan where we stayed at a hotel just a block away, and it was a great stroll down memory lane for me.
Now of course, the building has gone condo, as one at a time,  people have given up their leases. Seems to be the way things are going.

Despite the roaches, the crappy boyfriends, one and all, I loved living here while earning slave wages. 
I worked in sales at Georgette Klinger on Madison Avenue, one of the few sales jobs where no commission is paid. We sold series of facials, mostly, as well as skin treatments, makeup and various products. I worked for a swanky company, and I lived in a swanky building, and I soon went broke. The upside? I liked it while it lasted. And I danced at Studio 54 while living here, twice. Small budget, but living large.

Your Imaginary Friend,
Patsie

No comments:

Post a Comment