Monday, January 17, 2011

"New Or-leans Ladies, They Sashay By,.."

Dear Imaginary Friends,

Writing to you from New Orleans, I ponder the song that a trio of harmonizing men were singing to all the tourists at Galatoire's which sits on Bourbon Street:

New Orleans Ladies,
From Bourbon Street to Esplanade
They sashay by..
Sashay by.

Their voices swelled a capella as the singers circled around the restaurant, singing for tips. I happily munched on my PETIT GOUTE', a melange of Crab Maison and Shrimp Remoulade. A lady emboldened by alcohol, liquid courage, came up to me and asked, what is that you are eating? I replied Petite Goute'. (French for small taste) She wanted to know if it were spicy. I think she wanted me to feed her a shrimp. Later, I got up and offered her an eggplant souffle stick, and she accepted. Such is the friendliness in New Orleans.
SO much to do, and so much to eat! My fave: Commander's Palace, with its exquisite turtle soup and 25 cent Cosmos on weekdays at lunch. What a deal, cher! Plus the location is in the exquisite Garden District. Also on my agenda is the Tain of lump crab meat. Tain = tower, as in molded in a tall circle.
There is a restaurant in New Orleans called Tony Angello's on Fleur de Lis Avenue. You sit down and say, "Feed me, Tony." And then come 11 to 13 courses of Italian food, until you cry uncle and say, "Tony, I'm a gonna burst."
Last night, my intrepid husband, brave sister Susan and stalwart
brother in law Ruddy braved the crazy 26 mile long bridge known as the Causeway, to dine at the lovely La Provence, home of John Besh, a chef on the Food Network. IT rocked! The ambiance and service are quite perfect. Try their drink, the Sazerac.
Yesterday for lunch, we swallowed delish Po boys made of the flakiest french bread at New Orleans Po Boys on Magazine St. Magazine Street has great boutiques and cafes, antiques and art galleries, and everything a person might want to buy, eat or drink.
Ya gotta eat the pizza at Reginelli's. Oh my! I recommend the Parthenon, which is decked with artichokes and other veggies.
And ya gotta eat the doberge cakes and king cakes at Haydel's Bakery on Jefferson Highway. I wish the snowball stands were open in the winter, but cher, they just aren't. Otherwise, I would eat way too many chocolate snowballs at Casey's on West Esplanade in Metairie.
The other day, before shopping for gourmet treats at Martin's Wine Cellar, we ate lunch in their cafe'. I scarfed down some shrimp and mirliton soup, as well as Redfish Courtboullion. Mmm. They have an excellent wine selection. And so does Dorignac's, a large local grocery store on Veterans Hwy, with many New Orleans foods, and so much more.

After Martin's Wine Cellar, Carlo and I headed to the very old dessert palace of a Sicilian nature: Brocatos on Carrollton Avenue. Yumtastic spumoni, cassata, cannolis, gelato and Italian cookies await you there. Try to resist buying multiple desserts! Weight Watchers, stay away!
 Tonight is Cafe Degas sited on beautiful Esplanade Avenue, just like the song says. Esplanade is studded with huge antique homes, built in the true New Orleans style. It borders the back of the French Quarter. Cafe Degas' food is exquisite.

Wish you were here! If you were, we could go together to Gautreau's, which is in Uptown, and guess what. There is no sign outside, no name, no nothing. (I know!!) Is this Skull and Bones, or what!
It is mysterious. I felt like a character in a film noir movie, sneaking into a private club or speakeasy  with unmarked door, and ordering a mint julep, a salad and a crab appetizer. Talk about discreet.
New Orleans has been very kind to my palate, and less kind to my waistline. Then again, I have fulfilled one of my New Year's resolutions; to eat well in New Orleans, which is better than eating anywhere else.
Laissez les bon temps roulez! (let the good times roll)

Love,
Your friend,
Cajun Patsie ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment