Thursday, October 6, 2011

Going Through the Tunnel of Ugly


Dear Imaginary Friends,

Sometimes, a painting looks pretty rough the first day. Here you can see the first two stages of this particular landscape of River Farms Mansion.
I painted a demo painting in one hour at Del Ray Artisans Gallery during last weekend's Arts On The Avenue.
The weather was terrible, but you know the saying of artists worldwide: neither snow, nor sleet, nor darkness of night...shall deter us on our way.
Oh, wait. That's the post office.
Well, there you go.  Sometimes, the painting must pass through an initial or middle stage in which it seems ill-fated, shall we say. Artists sometimes call that time frame "the tunnel of ugly."
Please have faith that it will one day -- in the next 30 days or so -- pass into the realm of well-done.

Yours very truly,
Patsie

2 comments:

  1. Dear Imaginary Friend, Patsie,
    I have been going through the tunnel of ugly since a year or two before I found out that I had ovarian cancer. I am hoping to get pretty soon also. Can you paint me pretty again? I love your painting and you, my friend, are a work of art all by yourself. I don't think you ever went through a tunnel of ugly. Love you. Your imaginary friend, Tomi Huff

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are pretty inside and out, miss tomi!

    ReplyDelete