Sunday, August 1, 2010

No Substitutions for the "Real" Thing

"Strawberries," Oil, 8 x 10"
Dear Diary, aka, Imaginary Friends,

This week, I decided to make the ultimate compromise: a low-fat quiche. I substituted skim milk in my mushroom quiche, instead of whipping cream. Guess how it came out: No flavor.
The payoff is a few less calories going into my clogged arteries and waistline. Was it a fair trade off? No way. That is like Justin Bieber without the hair. Or like painting with mud.

Just as I want my cooking to taste good, I want my art to look tasty.
(Don't my strawberries look yummy?) You cannot make a great piece of art without the requisite tools and ingredients. Unless you are some kind of genius, and nobody has called me that since my mother died. Tear.

I have been watching with great interest the new show on Bravo called Work of Art. Produced by Sarah Jessica Parker, an artiste of a different ilk, the show features painters and sculptors, mostly young and cute, competing with each other in various challenges. Finally, a reality show without "real" housewives, Spencer and Heidi, or fake tans like Snooky and the Situation. There is no substitution for real content in media, that inspires us as opposed to watching a show featuring attention-starved evil housewives, so that we can decide which one is the least heinous. I know where I will be Wednesday nights: watching Work of Art, and picturing myself executing work to win each challenge.

Love,
Your imaginary Friend,
Patsie
, a not-so-heinous real housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment