Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Parker Visits Green Springs with a Sense of Urgency

Parker registers utter apathy
Green Springs on Sunday in Alexandria, VA
Dear Imaginary Friends,

If you know me, or read this blog, then you know that I love gardens. Since this is the time of year when  lotuses and water lilies bloom, one must make haste, for fear the bloom cycle will end any moment. Unfortunately, Green Springs Garden's display is petering out. 

The world of flowers is such a tenuous one. Most flowers bloom so briefly, and we wait on tenterhooks for this grand show of color. Take the one or two weeks of bloom time for tulips, for instance. My heart raced in April when my big crop of pink tulips sprouted buds. Next thing I know, the resident squirrel union had eaten off all the flower heads before they could even open, leaving them like Ichabod Crane, twisting with embarrassment in the spring sunshine.

Parker was dragged in the miserable heat to visit the flowers, and he obviously was not appreciative. He is no doubt thinking, my grandparents dragged me out here for this???

He is not quite conversant with the urgency of horticultural pursuits, apparently...nor the evil squirrel union. I swear the squirrels have put out an all points bulletin  whenever there is something tasty in my yard to eat. I can wrap my swelling figs with chicken wire with painstaking care; it won't help. The squirrels telegraph the bird union, who come calling with their teeny beaks. Mission accomplished: My figs are all deflowered.

Your Imaginary Friend,
Patsie

No comments:

Post a Comment